The 13th Summer Planning School of Serbian Association of Town Planners was held in Vršac on 1st June. Previous results and planned activities from the III phase of the GIZ-AMBERO project were presented at this international meeting. Presentations were given by the project leader Harald Müller and Dr Ratka Čolić.
- Summer Planning School Vršac, 1st till 3rd June 2017
Report and conclusions
The international expert meeting “13th Summer Planning School” was organized in Vršac by the Association of Town Planners of Serbia and the Republic Geodetic Authority. The meeting was supported by the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure, Ministry of State Administration and Local Government, Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development in cooperation with GIZ/AMBERO/ICON project.
The topics of the 13th Summer School were as listed:
I Urban and Spatial Planning
II Management of geospatial data, RGA
III Issuing of building permits – e-permiting
IV Implementation of the new Law on housing
Over 150 participants from five countries attended the meeting (Serbia, Republic of Srpska, Croatia, Germany and Hungary). There have been exposed 24 works of recognized experts in the areas mentioned above.
After the presented works and discussions the following conclusions were made inter alia by the Forum of the Summer School:
Urban and Spatial planning
- Urban and spatial planning in the EU countries make progress towards further creating of upper spatial organization levels using nationally independent but coordinated models. The attention is drawn concentrated and equally to all the important components of urban planning: organizational, functional, economic, ecological, social, participating and esthetic ones.
- Apart from the communication through charters and written strategies, our progress in the implementation of those models has also been significantly supported by multiannual projects of the German organization GIZ/AMBERO/ICON in Serbia.
- Distribution and coverage of urban plans of towns and settlements in Serbia as well as the process and their adoption speed have been visibly improved in the past ten years. This was one of the accented and important goals of the administration und the whole planning area.
- Nevertheless, the quality and content of urban plans are visibly declining. Also the number and the quality of systematic urban organizations are dropping. The urban organizations and institutions themselves suffer from continuous ad hoc reorganization on the national and local level, they shrink or vanish, which is also reflecting on the quality and content of presented releases. The situation with experts and professional organizations is not getting better, on the contrary.
- Application of modern information techniques has reached the basic necessary level of regular use of personal computers in business, though the transition to a higher level is not becoming visible for a longer period.
- Such tendency is to be turned organized into a positive development of the quality and content of urban plans. Except the dominating regulatory urban component also the developing and proactive components are needed to be significantly improved, otherwise our towns could experience a regress.
Management of geospatial data, RGA
- Regarding the management of geospatial data the situation seems much more favorable, firstly because of the well organized institutional system base.
- The Republic Geodetic Authority (RGA) holds the position within the system as an institution with great national importance, considering the geospatial data which are managed and supervised by it.
- A continuous and successful process of improvement of collecting and presenting the geospatial and cadastral data is currently running with the support of the World Bank and organizations from other developed countries.
- It is notable that the RGA is making a fast progress towards its aim to become an effective citizen service.
- However, the cooperation with other owners and users of spatial data still did not achieve the necessary quality and that is the direction which should be worked on especially.
Issuing of building permits – e-permiting
With the system of issuing of electronic building permits (Central Information System of Electronic Licences: CISE) the RGA made an efficient cooperation with authorities in local governments which are issuing these permits, objections or complaints were not recorded since the beginning of the use.
Implementation of the new Law on housing
- With the implementation of the new Law on housing there are getting visible certain improvements (first of all in the regulation of housing use), but also the absence of improvement where it was needed (first of all in the area of social housing and regulation of condominium ownership). It is expected that the future development of regulation shall bring this to the needed level.
Higher degree of cooperation between the urban planning and management of geospatial data
The 13th Forum of Summer Planning School was significant for conclusions about the required cooperation and a higher degree of integration between the areas of urban planning and management of geospatial data.
- The registry of spatial and urban plans exists as an institution and jurisdiction from the Law on planning and construction, but its development and the obligatory regulated domain are far away from the requirements and capabilities of this thorough institution concerning the organization of planning and geospatial data. It should be set up on a higher level of demands.
- Geospatial data are the core of each good planning methodology, but our current methods, the organization of the production and the content of urban plans are not modernized sufficiently in order to use properly the achieved development of geospatial informatics.
- It is necessary to organize a common process of approaching and adapting of these two areas of national space organization that are mutually dependent. That is the task for active and conscious experts and their institutions, but its realization is incomplete without the sufficient engagement of authorities of the national and local government.
The necessity for organizing the 14th Summer Planning School
The content of lectures and discussions of the 13th Summer Planning School in Vršac 2017 exceeded the expected level, as well as the participants’ consent about the necessity for organizing a scientific expert get-together in such a format, which shall appeal to the organizers to begin with the organization of the 14th Summer Planning School.
In Vršac, 3rd June 2017 Forum of the 14th Summer Planning School